My desk used to look apocalyptic.
Papers would be strewn about like misplaced meteors, electronic devices blinked & flashed in every random cranny, and sticky notes were plastered on my monitor like unwelcome zits.
Today, my desk is heavenly.
My monitor looks like a shining beacon of health – sitting prized and shiny as the centerpiece of my deskspace.
Now – you may be wondering: how do you go about maintaining a clean desk – and why?!
First I must point out that a clean desk leads to increased efficiency, productivity & and an improved mental state. Papers should be dealt with and either filed or disposed of – and it shouldn’t be a treasure hunt just to find your keyboard under a film of clutter.
Please don’t feed the dust bunnies. ~Author Unknown
Along with a clean, zen-like desk – your mental state will improve. You’ll feel more peaceful. Creativity will be rewarded. And you’ll be comforted by the compliments you’ll receive from friends, family and/or coworkers.
Turning Your Desk From Disaster to Masterpiece.
- Remove Everything – The first step is to remove everything from your desk. Save the monitor. This will give you a “sneak peak” of what your desk should look like.
- Papers Don’t Belong On The Desk – When we come to our desk, most of us usually empty our pockets on the poor thing. It becomes a dump station. Instead, I’d suggest using a box or cupboard to store papers and miscellaneous objects to deal with. Another suggestion is to file your papers or dispose of them as soon as possible, instead of letting them clutter your workstation.
- Only the Bare Necessities – To maintain a truly effective desk; only the essentials should be located on its surface. For myself – this includes my monitor, a lamp and a bamboo plant. In the future I may add a simple, small fish tank to the mix. Pens, staplers, tape dispensers & wallets are perfectly comfortable in cupboards.
- Clear The Desktop – I’m not talking physical here. I’m talking about your computer’s desktop. For me personally – I’ve removed everything from my desktop, and have uploaded a beautiful image as the desktop background. This helps to add tranquility to my desk, and I see the uplifting photo or landscape every time I view my desktop. It’s a breath of fresh air every time.
- (Bonus) Top It Off With A Little Music - I very much like tranquil music to be playing constantly while I work. The music of Enya, The Garden, Andrea Bocelli & Josh Groban do much to clear the mind, and add a soothing dimension to my workspace.
- Wipe/Dust Daily - It’s important that the daily grime be removed from your workspace. I do this every night before I leave my desk. Either dust or wipe down your desk. This will allow you to come to a clean, fresh environment the next morning – when work will begin in full gale once more.
Obviously I’ve interjected some of my own personal tastes here regarding the flow of your desk. I do however believe a clean desk leads to further efficiency in the work world. It leaves the mind feeling free, clean & less distracted.
Take the time today and find a way to spruce up your workspace. You’ll be surprised at how impressive and immaculate your desk looks afterwords.
How do you keep your desk clean & peaceful?